A fantastic side or main dish!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (“convection roast” setting if your oven has it.)
1-large organic spaghetti squash
2-3 big heads of broccoli
2-3-Tbsp olive or avocado oil
2 cups + or – of marinara sauce (we use Rao’s basil marinara)
BUF Mozzarella sliced (1-2 of the large buffalo mozzarella balls)
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise and discard seeds. Brush with oil and sprinkle halves with kosher salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet with cut side down. Roast 30-45 minutes or until the outer skin is shiny and the halves begin to look a bit warped or dented in.
2. While the squash is roasting, prepare broccoli by trimming the yellow portions off and slightly peeling the stems . Place in bowl and add 1-2 Tblsps of oil and toss with kosher salt. Place on baking sheet. When squash is nearing the end of its roasting time, put the broccoli in the oven (same temperature) and roast until edges start to darken. About 20 minutes or so.
3. When the squash is done, be careful turning them over with a fork. Carefully, with an oven mitt on, scrape the insides of the squash halves with a fork pulling it from the sides and gathering the squash “noodles” to the middle of the half. Do the same with the other half. Set aside until the broccoli is done.
4. When the broccoli is done roasting, place the squash noodles into a cast iron pan. Next, add the Rao basil marinara to the squash. Then add the roasted broccoli on top of the marinara, strategically placing the broccoli around the pan and then towards the middle. Lastly, carefully slice the BUF mozzarella atop the broccoli.
5. Place the cast iron pan into the oven (at 400 degrees) and wait for it to warm everything thru and the cheese has melted.
*This dish can be a side or a main dish. You can also add cooked chicken or cooked meatballs to the finished dish. If you decide to add meat, don’t add to the cast iron pan as putting the pan back into the oven will dry the chicken or meatballs out. Just add after.
This is a family favorite of ours. Hope you give it a try!