How to Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Here’s the recipe rundown, followed by some seriously scrumptious ways to jazz it up. You can have the base recipe prepped 10 minutes after pulling your bacon out of the package!
*Be sure to wash your asparagus before cooking and dry it well.
Step 1: Trim Off the Tough, Woody Ends of Your Asparagus
Snap the asparagus. Take the end of the asparagus between your thumb and forefinger and bend gently until it snaps. The asparagus automatically breaks where the woody part ends and the fresh, tender asparagus begins. This method ensures each spear is perfectly trimmed and no good asparagus is wasted. It’s also oddly satisfying.
Step 2: Toss the Asparagus with Olive Oil and Black Pepper
- Use a generous amount of black pepper. Its flavor is fantastic with the bacon.
- Salt the asparagus very sparingly as the bacon will give the recipe the majority of saltiness needed.
Step 3: Count Your Asparagus Spears
- We’ll be making eight bundles of asparagus total. Add up your stems, then divide by eight.
- Depending upon the thickness of your asparagus (later-season asparagus is much thicker than early-season, for example), the number of spears in your pound of asparagus (and thus in each bundle) will vary. Some of my bundles had three skinny spears; others had two thicker ones.
- Make a mental note of the rough number in each bundle. We’ll come back to this.
Step 4: Wrap It
- Divvy your asparagus into bundles. Pick up the first one.
- Place one end of the bacon just above the midpoint.
- Channel your inner artist. Wrap the bacon around the stalk so that it slightly overlaps the first end and secures it into place. Continue wrapping, working your way down the stalk until you reach the other end of the bacon.
Step 5: Choose Your Cooking Method
You can cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the oven or on the grill.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the Oven (My Favorite Way—Hands Free!): Arrange the bundles on a rimmed baking sheet side by side (see photo above). Bake the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus at 400 degrees F for 22 to 28 minutes. The cooking time will vary depending upon the thickness of your bacon and how tightly you wrap the spears.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus on the BBQ Grill: Prepare the bundles as directed. Secure the free end of each strip of bacon with a toothpick (this will help it stay in place when you turn the bundles). Grill over medium heat, covered, until the bacon is crisp and cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the bundles a few times throughout so that the bacon crisps evenly on all sides (you’ll need about 3 to 4 minutes per side).
Step 6: Serve It Up!
- Transfer your bundles to a platter and try to stop yourself from stealing all of them before your guests have a chance to snag one.
- You can serve Bacon Wrapped Asparagus as a side dish or hearty appetizer.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus also tastes great at room temperature, so it’s an excellent option for parties or a buffet table.